When people ask how long it takes to replace a windscreen, they’re often surprised by the answer. In a good way. And that’s because replacing a windscreen is generally much quicker than you’d think!
Several factors influence the time taken to replace a windscreen, but generally you can expect to have your vehicle back on the road in under two hours – usually less.
Let’s first look at the role of a windscreen and the types of damage that could necessitate a full replacement (as opposed to a repair job) before delving a little deeper into the process of replacing it and the timeframes involved.
Why is it so important to fix a damaged windscreen?
A windscreen is one of the most important structural components of your vehicle and it plays a crucial role in keeping you and your passengers safe. It obviously provides an important barrier against the elements and flying debris, but it also provides critical protection in the event of an accident. That’s why it’s vital that you get any damage to your windscreen assessed by a professional as soon as possible. If the damage has compromised the integrity, performance or safety of the windscreen, you’ll need to replace it.
When does my windscreen need to be replaced?
The vast majority of chips and cracks can be repaired quickly and easily, but in some instances, the size, extent and the location of the damage necessitates a full windscreen replacement.
If the damaged windscreen is very old – or if it has had numerous chip repairs done in the past – an autoglass professional may recommend that it be replaced.
Situations when a replacement is necessary include:
- When the damage is at the edge of the windscreen and has weakened its structural integrity
- When the damage interferes with the driver’s line of sight
- When there are multiple chips and/or cracks caused by several points of impact
- When a crack exceeds 14cms in length
- When a chip is wider than 2.5cm in diameter
- When there is a chunk of glass missing. Windscreens are made from a layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) sandwiched between two layers of safety glass – and while superficial chips can be filled with a resin, the windscreen will usually need to be replaced if the chip has penetrated the first layer and damaged the inner plastic layer.
Time required to replace your windscreen
Typically, the time required to replace a windscreen is around 30 – 60 minutes, but you will also need to allow some time for the adhesive to set fully before the car is driveable.
Again, several factors will influence the length of the job. These include:
- The make and model of the vehicle
- Whether the vehicle has additional features such as sensors, temperature monitors etc.
- The outside temperature and humidity can also affect the timing. In colder conditions, the glue can take slightly longer to harden.
- The type of adhesive used. A professional windscreen replacement company will use industry standard urethane adhesives which not only cure quickly, but which are also the most sturdy and reliable.
If you have any concerns about timing, you should get confirmation about what you can expect from the windscreen repair company up front. An experienced technician will be able to address your queries based on their experience and expertise, but will obviously only be able to give a definitive answer once they’ve personally assessed the situation.
More good news about windscreen replacements
Did you know that you can have your windscreen replaced at a venue of your choice?
Mobile units don’t just come to your premises to fix small chips and cracks – they can do full windscreen repairs too. That means no wasted time getting to their workshops and hanging around waiting for the glue to cure – you can get on with your day while the job gets done wherever is most convenient for you.
Autoscreens has been offering mobile windscreen replacement and windscreen repair service in the Perth metro area for over 20 years and are proud of our reputation as a trusted and reliable leader in the industry. You’re welcome to give our friendly Autoscreens team a call on 0400 200 086 to chat about your requirements or get in touch with Autoscreens for an instant quote or to make an appointment. We’re here to help.
Jason’s extensive professional qualifications and his broad industry experience paired with his military background means he brings an extraordinary level of skill, expertise and meticulous attention to detail to every aspect of his business.
Prior to starting Autoscreens, Jason worked for several leading international windscreen companies as well as spending a number of years in the armed forces. He has accumulated numerous professional qualifications, industry accolades and leadership awards, and is a highly respected volunteer in his local community.
Under his expert stewardship, Autoscreens has grown into one of the leading windscreen companies in Perth. Despite its success, he has ensured that the family-owned and managed company remains true to its founding values of integrity, quality and unsurpassed customer service.